Monday, January 25, 2010

Where is the curve, anyway?

Ohhh, goodness, here it comes again. I can feel it rising to my surface like a million pin pricks. Not painful yet. Not aching. Not intense in any real way, but certainly not willing to be ignored. It's restlessness. Dissatisfaction with the level of comfort that I have reached. It's wanderlust in its raw form; the very feeling which got me here and then got me out of here....the first time. I don't want this. Stagnant is stagnant, even if it occurs in the most perfect place I have ever lived.
I am looking at plane tickets right now. Round trip. Two friends whom I have known for pretty much as long as I have known anybody are getting married in June, and I am flying home (I use the term loosely) to celebrate with them. To walk into their new, expanding world for a minute and retreat slowly back into my ever-contracting one. I never know if I'm behind the curve or in front of it.
There is something to be said for living in a place where every day is essentially the same. You have no choice but to live for today, as there doesn't seem to be a rear-view mirror to look into or a future to contemplate. You have to figure out how to be happy rightthissecond because the second after that will be a spitting, glaring image of the last one. That said, I am tired of my days melting into one another.
A friend of mine recently commented on how nice it is to have so much free time here. No dishes to wash. No groceries to shop for. We even get to skip the drive to and from work, which takes up much more time than you may realize. She said that it's great to work and to live and only those two things. I nodded, and thought to myself, "What? No!" The best way to live is to have days teeming with beautiful to-dos. The seams at dawn and at dusk shredded with energy and fullness. No room to spare. And absolutely no time that could ever be called "free." Of course, this is all from my current state of excuseless boredom. The grass is always greener, isn't it, and begging to be explored?

No comments: