Oh, Valentine's Day. Here is it. Am I supposed to care? I am supposed to care. As a single girl who is sometimes happy about that and sometimes not, or really just as a girl, I am definitely supposed to care. So, here is my favorite quote about love that ever existed:
“Love is the ultimate outlaw. It just won't adhere to any rules. The most any of us can do is to sign on as its accomplice. Instead of vowing to honor and obey, maybe we should swear to aid and abet. That would mean that security is out of the question. The words "make" and "stay" become inappropriate. My love for you has no strings attached. I love you for free.”
― Tom Robbins, Still Life With Woodpecker
Ooh, ooh, or this:
“Albert Camus wrote that the only serious question is whether to kill yourself or not.
Tom Robbins wrote that the only serious question is whether time has a beginning and an end.
Camus clearly got up on the wrong side of bed, and Robbins must have forgotten to set the alarm.
There is only one serious question. And that is: Who knows how to make love stay?
Answer me that and I will tell you whether or not to kill yourself.”
― Tom Robbins, Still Life with Woodpecker
Maybe this whole post should be about how Tom Robbins is probably the love of my life.
Cynical I am not, and I am not a Valentine's Day hater. I feel like that's a bit dramatic. Anti-Valentine's Day parties are not my bag any more than the inevitable pictures of sweetly tagged roses that will take over Facebook like a petal tsunami. Plus, I LOVE love. And I love this holiday, even if I do think it means a bit too much to too many people. It is a pink-shaded day where Necco wafers come in heart shapes and Hallmark sells massive amounts of the same sentiment to shrugging men who hope they're doing it right. Growing up (and still), my dad always bought flowers for my mom on Valentine's day. Growing up (and still), my dad bought flowers for my mom on random Wednesdays or Sundays or Thursdays, too. And that's what I have to say about Valentine's Day.
No comments:
Post a Comment