Sunday, July 24, 2011

If A Tape Recorder Existed in My Head

I have nothing to say right now. But I did when I was traveling the other week, so here goes nothing. For lack of anything new sitting inside my head and because it's raining like hell and what else am I going to do right now? The airport ramblings of a girl who spends too much time in airports...This is going to be entirely random and clearly stream of consciousness. I had a cloudy travel head. That much will be clear...

Why do I always feel compelled to write on airplanes? I haven't been writing that much over the last three years and I can tell. I feel sort of captive inside my own head, and I'm not good at it anymore. I have got to get better about this.
Unless they're on business, most people seem to travel with other people. Especially from vacation places. Which means that I am one of not very many on this flight without a co-flier. I generally like it that way, but it would be nice to have a shoulder to fall asleep on for some of these airplane hours I keep logging.
Why do I love drinking tomato juice in the air? I am wearing a white shirt on a bumpy plane and I went with tomato juice. It's not like I'm incident free, either. More times than not, I spill the stuff all over the place. I just can't stay away.
And why does anyone order those snacks that you have to pay for up here? This is a three hour flight. That bag of cashews cost you $5.00. You really couldn't wait? Maybe that's where the tomato juice comes in. It's salty and kind of thick, so my stomach thinks I've eaten. Ha! Duped again, American Airlines! I don't need your stupidly expensive cashews. Gotcha!
So, when you live in the Caribbean, you venture into everyone else's everyday for vacation. Colorado bound now, and I'll even make my way to Lincoln, Nebraska this time. As if you could get any more normal.
Would you see a rainbow if you flew over it?
Off to the land of every day, where I will be thrilled by everything from seeing peaches in the grocery store to the number of country music radio stations. Where I get to drive more than 6 miles, which is as far away anything on St. John is from anything else on St. John. If I want something to eat and it's not already in the fridge, I can just drive to a store at ANY TIME. Even after 8:30pm! The world of suburbia is so convenient that they've lost track of how immediate and easy everything is. I will not be taking that for granted.
From here, I can play the game where you name what a cloud looks like, but I can do it in 3D. The one we're flying past looks like a dolphin swimming through coral heads. But I bet it doesn't look that way from the ground.
Three rock stars on a stage of smoke machines and dry ice mist. The rock stars sort of look like gummy bears. But whatever.
Clouds are awesome.
There are a million tiny ones, all the same shape. An aerial army of marshmallow peeps.
Hello, Miami. Why anyone would want to bludgeon to death a white beach with a city's worth of high-rises is beyond me.
Oops, there I go. Something you have to be careful about in life, and maybe in transient life even more, is arrogance about the way you live and how you see the world. We believe ourselves to be quite the enlightened lot, we leaders of unconventional lives. With full passports and full photo albums, we have seen a lot of places. We have met a lot of people. We have been on uncomfortable adventures and been tested on how well we can roll the with the proverbial punches. And I can't imagine wanting to go to a hotel-ridden beach any more than the people in those hotels can fathom wanting to stay in a sardine-tin hostel in Picadilly, sharing bunk beds with 5 German strangers who snore and smell a little pickled.
Travelers often assume that everyone envies their lifestyle. Which is because travelers are told by just about everyone how enviable their lifestyle is. But, it's not always, and you can't think that those people actually want your life. They don't. Stop seeing yourself through such a soft lens. My 9-5 friends know which bed they'll be sleeping in a year from now. They are not afraid of buying nice things, because they probably will not have to pack those nice things into boxes and leave them in storage for long and undefined amounts of time. They come home to their warm homes and warm families every night. They have gardens and Christmas and big dogs. All of these things they have, and I do not.
So far, the man with two straw hats is the best airport dude I've seen, followed closely by zebra blouse and super shiny galaxy full of rhinestones belt lady. Ooh! Matching terrible Hawaiian shirts; one pink and one blue. They are going somewhere to drink pink frozen things with paper umbrellas floating, leaking into them.
People who have to run through airports are always so awkward about it. Trying to keep their cool. Panicked faces and a quick-footed hop trot, but those hands stay firmly at their sides. Utter refusal to let the whole body participate in the freak out, for fear that they might look freaked out. Worried? Who's worried? Nah, man, I'm cool. Who's worried?
Why don't they make light up shoes for adults? They should.
Burly, gnarly dude with a tiny pink roller suitcase. No child in sight. What?
If I wore high heels on a travel day, I would die. I mean that.
Why don't men wear brimmed hats anymore? It's a shame. They're really hot.
Leggings really are accepted as pants in the states. Yes! The more my clothes are like pajamas, the happier I am.
I envy that little kids can saunter through an airport with their beloved stuffed animals in their arms and it's not weird and no one stares. I have to keep mine in my backpack.
Everyone is either dressed for their tropical vacation destination or they are wearing largely lettered shirts telling the world where they have just been. Right now, it seems as if a lot of people heart Miami. Oh, that one says, "I was in Miami, bitch." Why?
Men have to be very careful. Khakis, if too light in color, can easily be confused with white pants, which are far less acceptable. Even though it's not even Labor Day yet.
Ooh! An airport yoga-er. Amazing. Either assuming that no one is watching or hoping that everyone is.
The serious looking security people are wearing helmets on Segways. I do not take them seriously.
She does not know that her fashion-forward shorts look very, very much like a diaper. Someone she loved should probably tell her that.
"It's a satchel!"
How are Segways effective? I find it hard to believe that they could move any more quickly than a fairly able human could run. And shouldn't security people be in shape, anyway? What else is going to be invented so that no one anywhere ever has to move ever again?
So many sensible shoes on all of these airport employees.
What would people watchers say about me, I wonder? "Oh, she's a bit mousy. She would be prettier without the glasses." (Yeah, but then I would look like the dumb lost girl because I wouldn't be able to see the gate numbers. Is that better?) "And why is she wearing orange shoes? I don't get that." (Hey, lay off. I like my orange shoes.)
I like people who drape their sweaters around their shoulders and secure them with clean, preppy sweater-sleeve knots. I could never pull something like that off. So prim.
A man wearing a pirate hat!
Ooh, the wheels on that woman's roller suitcase light up. Cool. Maybe that is the grown up version of the shoes.

Annnnd it ends there. Maybe that's where the Dramamine kicked in and I fell asleep. In case no one knew, Dramamine is better than Nyquil. For real.


I have nothing of my own to say now. Time to drink some wine and be glad that at least something got put on this ridiculous blog.

No comments: